* The bridge will provide a new link between the states of Nevada and Arizona .
* The arches are made up of 53 individual sections each 24 feet long which have been cast on- site.
* Structural members are being lifted into place using a high-wire crane strung between temporary steel pylons.
* The bridge is officially called the Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge, after a former governor of Nevada and an American Football player from Arizona who joined the US Army and was killed in Afghanistan .
* Work on the bridge started in 2005 and should finish next year. An estimated 17,000 cars and trucks will cross it every day.
* The dam was started in 1931 and used enough concrete to build a road from New York to San Francisco . * The stretch of water it created, Lake Mead , is 112 miles long and took six years to fill. Lake Mead is the largest reservoir in the United States
* The top of the white band of rock in Lake Mead is the old waterline prior to the drought and development in the Las Vegas area. It is over 100 feet above the current water level. The lake is currently at 43 percent of its capacity.